Well it’s a New Year and the site is now passing its sixth month mark. In that time it has developed beyond what I thought it would with a steady stream of hits and regular readers/ commenters. First I would like to thank some of the older hands for sticking with me. Your support has been both gratifying and encouraging. Secondly I would like to take this chance to welcome the newest followers.
For those of you who have never seen a SITREP post before I publish one a month and use it as an opportunity to let you know what I am researching for future posts. If you see anything listed that you think I may not be aware of please don’t hesitate to put something in the comments section. I will of course give full credit to anyone who contributes any information, pictures, etc.
As well as letting you know what I have planned this is also your opportunity to let me know how you think the site is progressing and have your say. Also if you have any recommendations for a future post please feel free to make them in the comments section below.
Also, if any of you are on Facebook please LIKE the Defence of the Realm Facebook page. I regularly update this page with news, links and pictures. This month I have uploaded a host of pictures from my visit to the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton.
So here is January’s SITREP;
- In the comments section of last month’s SITREP I was told that the current format of the site can sometimes be difficult to read. I would like to know how widespread this view is and whether anyone else finds the site difficult to read. If so what exactly is difficult?
- If you have any requests for aircraft comparisons then please put them in the comments section below.
- I am still working on the Cold War recce Chipmunk article. Sadly it seemed to fall by the wayside due to other articles.
- I have been looking back on some of the older posts and I have realized that the way I have laid them out is different to my most recent ones. Therefore I plan to rework them to achieve uniformity across the site.
- I am planning to do a double feature on the first and last kills of the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm in World War II. As some of you know I have a certain affinity for the Fleet Air Arm’s story and I think it is one that doesn’t nearly get the attention it deserves.
- This month I started writing up on warship classifications with articles on battlecruisers and torpedo boat destroyers. I plan to expand on this with more articles on other types of warship, their role and their use.
- Going to the other end of the spectrum I plan to start a series of articles highlighting British small arms and comparing them to other weapons in a similar format to the aircraft comparisons.
Happy New Year to you all