Built as a B2, WH740 was delivered to No.18 Squadron at RAF Scampton in August 1953. The aircraft then became part of No.40 Squadron based at RAF Upwood. In 1958, WH740 was one of 15 B2s loaned to the Royal New Zealand Air Force as part of the Commonwealth Strategic Reserve. It joined the newly formed 75 Squadron (RNZAF) based at RAF Tengah, Singapore and saw active service in Malaya.
In 1962 the aircraft was handed back to the RAF and converted to T.17 standard before joining 360 Squadron at RAF Cottesmore. It remained with 360 Squadron for the rest of its service life, moving to RAF Wyton in August 1975. The T.17 was a rebuilt B2 with a compartment behind the cockpit which accommodated a pupil and ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) instructor.
The aircraft was struck off RAF charge in December 1987 and used as a ground instructional airframe at No.2 School of Technical Training at RAF Cosford. After providing many valuable years to young RAF Trainees it was bought for display at the Aeropark.
History: East Midlands Aeropark
Photos taken on the 18th January 2015
Running the engines.