The Queen’s Flight was formed in 1952 upon the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Up to that point it had naturally been known as the King’s Flight under the reign of her father, King George VI. Responsible for transporting the Royal family primarily around the UK the flight operated a number of aircraft until 1995 when the unit was merged with the RAF’s No.32 Squadron which from then on became known as No.32 (The Royal) Squadron operating out of RAF Northolt, London.
Westland Whirlwind HCC.12
The Westland Whirlwinds operated by the Queen’s Flight were designated HCC.12 and were replaced by the Wessex.
Westland Wessex HCC.4
The Westland Wessex helicopters received the designation HCC.4 and were operated until 1998 when they were replaced by privately leased Sikorsky S-76 aircraft.