The first Rolls Royce armoured car was cobbled together by a blacksmith commissioned by Eastchurch Squadron RNAS, based in Dunkirk in 1914. Charles Rumney Samson R.N., who was an unconventional leader and considered a bit of a firebrand used his pilots’ own private cars for reconnaissance forays. After a spot of bother in Cassel on 4th September, 1914, Samson had three of the cars, one of them his own Rolls Royce, armour-plated and the first Rolls-Royce armoured cars were born.
The example at the Haynes International Motor Museum is in fact a replica and was built by a volunteer force in 2013 from a standard Rolls-Royce in order to commemorate the centennial of the Great War.
The following photos were taken on the 3rd January 2015.
Additional photos taken on the 13th February 2015