Three men have been arrested under the Terrorism Act for allegedly plotting to carry out an attack on US forces based at RAF Lakenheath during the cancelled July 4th celebrations. The celebrations, which are normally attended by thousands of British locals and American nationals, were cancelled due to a heightened threat level in the wake of the Tunisia shootings.
Two of the men are said to be in their 20s while a third is in his early 30s. Police officers from the UK’s national counter terrorism network, led by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command (SO15) and supported by the Bedfordshire Police and Eastern Counter Terrorism Intelligence Unit, carried out the operation. They were also assisted by armed police from the Met’s Specialist Firearms Command however no shots were fired. The arrests are understood to have taken place on Tuesday and since then the police have been granted additional time to question the suspects.
A spokesman for the Met said the arrests and searches of properties in the Luton area where one of the suspects hails from are part of an ongoing investigation into Islamist-related terrorism however due to it being an ongoing investigation he was not able to release any further information.